Usually if anyone mentions the word “Quinoa” I’m immediately turned off a dish, it’s often made so badly that it resembles a soggy mush of squirly disappointment but if cooked well and combined with some peaky flavours it’s actually rather nutty and lovely and this salad proves just that.
Superfood salad with cocoa nibs
- 2 handfuls raw quinoa
- 1 tablespoon powdered veg stock
- 1 small orange
- 2 handfuls of frozen board beans, defrosted in water and drained
- 1 tablespoon cocoa nibs
- 3 tablespoons salad sprinkle mix (mixture of seeds such as pumpkin, sesame, sunflower, linseed etc)
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 handful blanched almonds
- 1 yellow chilli finely chopped
- 1 handful of feta, crumbled
- 1 handful of fresh mint, roughly chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the quinoa according to packet instructions but add the stock to the water. Once cooked drain in a sieve and leave to cool completely, this will also help dry it out a bit.
- Slice the orange into rounds and sear on a very hot griddle, turning over a couple of times then slice each round into quarters.
- Combine everything in a bowl, you can drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil over if you fancy it, leave for at least an hour at room temperature to allow all the flavours to mix.