I had a meeting in Leicester on Wednesday so took the opportunity to head to Radio Leicester and catch up with the wonderful Ben Jackson with whom I do the Food Friday cooking items. Ben had just been at the Chelsea Flower Show the previous day and was telling me about an amazing Lebanese meal he went for in Knightsbridge at a restaurant called Randa, he raved about a parsley dish that I knew I needed to go and experiment with.
I’ve been sprinkling this on everything: BBQ’d fish and meat, flat breads smothered in humous and my personal favourite is to dive into it using a piece of crispy smoked bacon as a spoon, yeah, all the ace.
Parsley and fennel salad
- 1 large bunch flat leave parsley, chopped
- 1 large handful fennel fronds, chopped
- 1 red banana shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated on a microplane
- zest 1 lemon, grated on a microplane
- juice 1 lemon
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 5 radishes very thinly sliced
- 1 handful cherry tomatoes, cooked on a very hot griddle for a minute or two
- pinch sea salt flakes
- pinch freshly ground pepper
- drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- pea shoots, chervil and edible flowers to garnish
Just combine everything in a bowl, stir well and leave for at least 2 hours if you can at room temperature before serving then keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.