So yesterday was my first day back doing BBC Radio Leicester’s Food Friday show with Ben Jackson since my knee operation last month. I’m still wobbly and having to use a crutch or two but by far the most agonising thing has been not being able to stand up to cook. It still hurts but my body feels completely out of kilter and my mind suffers if I can’t spend at least a small amount of time each day creating stuff in my kitchen.
One of the positives of being on crutches is that I’ve had to get a cleaner to come and help me around the house, she’s all kinds of ace and as it turns out an awesome cake maker who was telling me about a Black Forest cheesecake she made recently, a lightbulb flashed on in my mind and these rather kickass fudgy brownies were created.
You can hear me making this, it’s only 11 minutes long, by clicking on this link where you will also find the recipe. We always have a blast in my kitchen and yesterday was no different, although he did edit out my “only special people get to drink out of Lady Diana’s cup” line….
What I also forgot about was the “surprise” that I mentioned in the clip, this is simply to swap the cherries for Cadburys mini eggs, perfect for Easter 🙂
Black Forest Chocolate Brownies (makes 12)
- 300g unsalted butter, cubed
- 250g dark chocolate broken into small pieces
- 1 handful dried cherries
- 2 handfuls walnut pieces
- 1 capful vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt flakes
- 80g plain flour
- 360g caster sugar
- 80g cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 x 400g can dark cherries in syrup, drained
For the glaze: (optional not essential)
- 2 heaped spoonfuls morello cherry jam
- 50ml kirsch or other alcohol such as dark rum
For the topping:
- 300ml whipping cream
- 3 heaped tablespoons mascarpone
- 1 teaspoon cocoa
- Heat oven to 180C. Put the butter and chocolate in a bowl set over simmering water and melt until silky and thoroughly combined then add the dried cherries and nuts.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, sugar and baking powder in a separate bowl and stir to mix.
- Add the flour mx to the melted chocolate and gently stir to combine then add the eggs and continue to mix gently with a spatula until it is all thoroughly combined.
- Line a 25cm x 25cm baking tray with greased baking paper that overhangs by a few cm to make it easy to remove the brownie later, and pour in the brownie mix, scatter over half of the cherries and push them into the mix.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes (it will be quite wobbly, it will harden on cooling) then remove from oven and leave to cool completely in the baking tray.
- Put the glaze ingredients in a small saucepan and cook over a medium heat for 4 minutes. Brush over the cold brownie.
- Remove the brownie from the tin.
- Beat the whipping cream until firm then ad the mascarpone and mix well, put it in a piping bag and pipe over the top of the brownie to cover. Decorate with the remaining cherries and a dusting of coca.
3 thoughts on “Black Forest chocolate brownies”
Oh wow- it looks fab!
Looks so tasty, love the photography as well!
Get. Out. Of. Town.