The beetroots that I planted this time last year are still providing me with plenty of leaves and veg but I need to make space for this year’s planting so I’m eating a lot of them at the moment*. I also have a massive amount of carrots at the moment so this coleslaw was thrown together to tackle the bounty. Beetroot has a really earthy flavour so it can take other strong ingredients being thrown at it so the dressing has a big kick.
- 1 large beetroot, peeled and V-Sliced into matchsticks
- 6 carrots, prepared as above.
- 1 finely sliced red onion
- poppy seeds (blue and white)
- 1 heaped tablespoon hot english mustard
- 1 tablespoon Ikea Dill sauce
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- sea salt flakes and freshly ground pepper
Make your dressing, pour it over the rest of the ingredients, mix and eat, simples.
*Eating beetroot can give you a bit of a fright when you go to the loo, your poo is purple! Don’t panic, it literally scares the crap out of me every time!